Sunday, November 9, 2008

Call of the Wild ~ Sierra Dafoe

Find Sierra here and by the book here.

Call of the Wild by Sierra  Dafoe

Welcome to Wolf Creek Cove...

In an isolated area of northern Manitoba lives an unusual breed of wolf. They are the Shumani, the wolves who walk as men. But the longer they go without contact with humans, the more they regress into wild wolves.

Larak and his den-brother Kam watched helplessly as the Shumani dwelling in the hills above Wolf Creek were taken over by Hunt, a vicious black wolf who will do anything to retain control of the pack. Now, with the arrival of the only human they've seen since cubhood, Larak and Kam vow to end Hunt's domination.

Sarah Hartwell, domestic disaster and wolf aficonado, has left her fiance to spend eight months studying the wolves. Little does she know she will become a pawn in the battle for control of the Shumani -- a pawn Hunt is determined to remove from the game.

Can Larak and Kam convince her to give up a safe, secure life among her own kind for one of danger, passion, and the call of the wild?

I'll admit it, I think that the wolf-shifter/werewolf thing has been done to death.  I feel the same way about vampires, however I have an undead fetish that just won't rest... So, when I looked at Call of the Wild, I wondered what it could bring to persuade me to feel otherwise about the shifter genre in general.

Sierra Dafoe not only brings you to a beautiful, isolated area in far northern Canada, she also brings the action with her.  Fast-paced and engrossing, you're constantly wanting to know what's going to happen next, when Sarah's going to figure it all out and will she stay or will she go? 

Sarah has given up on men after leaving a bad relationship.  Larak and Kam are wary of the human in their lands.  However, when Kam is injured, Sarah takes the wolf -and his human-looking (and very naked) possible poacher - in to heal.  Only to discover the wolf is not just a wolf... and the (very naked) man is not just a man...

This was my first of Sierra's books and I was so happy when I got her newsletter in the e-mail this morning alerting me to a sequel.  And thank the gods, she really left us hanging at the end of this one!  I will definitely be looking into more of her work and soon.

No comments: